I need some advice from my farmer/homesteader/livestock owning readers.
Although the move is not 100% guaranteed yet, after another inspection yesterday, the percentage is climbing quickly, and things are looking pretty certain. That being said, I have been preparing my shopping list and researching items I want and need. I raised all sorts of livestock in the past, but has been a few years. I’m not sure about a couple things, though.
Should I get:
- for the brooder, a slide top chicken feeder or quart jar attachment base feeder? FYI, we will likely not have more than about 25 chicks at one time for now.
- for the grown layer hens, should I invest on one of the large hanging feeders/waters?
- standard milk pail or pail with crescent moon lid to help prevent spills/contaminants for this newbie?
- a stripping cup for milking?
- a goat collar or halter, and if so, which one? I have used a collar in the past, but never a halter.
- for milk filtering, which if preferrable–cheese cloth or dairy filters?
I think that’s it for now. Also, if you have a favorite online farm supply store you use, with really good prices, please pass that on. My favorites that I used to use carry mostly horse stuff. Thanks in advance!