Lots of changes have been happening around here! All of them good, though.
Take a look at this photo, and see if you can see what’s missing:
This is a photo of our brooder pen, where our little roosters and turkeys were housed. And it is EMPTY!!! That’s right, every turkey and crowing bird gone! This weekend, we finished harvesting our birds, keeping only the laying hens, the up-and-coming pullets, and 2 Light Brahma roos that are housed with the hens. We also harvested the last meat rabbit. My freezers were so stuffed that we wound up giving away the last turkey. I offered it up on Craigslist, but with the effort and natural way we raised the birds, I refused to let it go at a standard, CAFO-turkey price. Instead, we wanted someone who could appreciate the incredible taste and nutrition of this bird, so we gave it to a friend who would.
So that responsibility was gone, and we were down to just our California buck rabbit, Moses, and the little bottle fed baby. Yeah, sadly, it’s just baby. I’ll do another post on that later. However, I’m proud to report that lone survivor is thriving and happy as can be!
Then, yesterday, I got an e-mail that our new batch of American Chinchilla rabbits were on their way. So, this morning, JR and I drove about an hour away to meet the KS breeder who brings them in. He was very kind and understanding of our situation, and admitted that the American Chins can be a less-hardy breed over all. So, instead of charging me full price for all 3 of the rabbits I had ordered, he gave me all 3 for the price of 1. I was thrilled! (and so was my budget-conscious hubby!) Better yet, 1 doe and the buck are already breeding age! While I don’t need any meat right now, I plan to breed them ASAP in the hopes of getting some purebred replacements–just in case. The other doe is still quite young, but she is very pretty and shows promise for producing good reps of the breed.
I will have to do a future post on why I love the American Chinchilla rabbit so much. I really hope it works this go around. It is possible altitude could have something to do with their early demise. If I lose these too, I think we will just sell our cage set up, and wait until we get to Red Gate Farm to start up another rabbit venture. Ideally though, this batch will work out, we will have some great pets, and in a perfect world, I will be able to get a few really good kits out of them to sell and help keep this breed alive!