We decided to start testing our little goat herd for diseases this fall.  Around here, a negative blood test ads a good bit of value to a goat for sale, as well as any kids produced.  Most farms only test for the immune-disease CAE, so if you test for anything else, it is a huge bonus when a serious buyer is looking.  Since we aren’t exactly sure what next year holds, I figured it wouldn’t be a bad idea.  Even though I bought my goats from “disease-free” herds, the actual goats themselves had not been tested for anything for at least a year, if ever (and I never saw proof of any test).  So, I figured why not?!

Unfortunately, I learned too late, that you aren’t supposed to test a pregnant doe for CAE, as it can result in a false result (typically false negative, even if the doe is positive for CAE).  Although I didn’t anticipate any of the goats having anything, I wanted to be certain before I chose who to keep, who to sell, and who to butcher.  So, this fall, we tested Stallion and Sara.  It was easy (particularly since I had a more experienced goat keeper there to help 😉 ) ; simply a matter of drawing a little blood, putting it into a tube, filling out the form, packaging it according to directions, and putting it in priority mail.  Easy enough.  And it only cost $15 per goat for all 3 tests.  In fact I am going to attempt any new goats (purchased, not offspring necessarily) with only S’s help next year.

It was so much fun to get their lab results back.  As expected, a great big “N” (for negative) was listed under each test ordered.  I feel all the more official and professional now.