In our current economy and with all the media attention being give to the U.S. society’s food and lifestyles, increasing numbers of people are looking for better options. Lots of people are interested in becoming more self-suffcient (I like to think of it as God-dependent), while others want to be educated about their food and the economy, while still others just desire to find good sources for wholesome, affordable foods. One of the most frequent questions I hear is, “Where do I start?” I always advise folks that the best way to start is by educating themselves. For that reason, I have been working to compile this resource page to help you get started with those first steps. The following are a compilation of some of my favorites, or those recommended by friends/blog readers. There are MANY more! If you know of one, please let me know and I will research it and possibly add it on!
Food Resources (your region will help determine which is right for you)
- www.eatwild.com is a comprehensive resource website that lists sustainable and organic meat and dairy farms by state.
- http://realmilk.com/where.html is a comprehensive resource website focused on raw milk and dairy products, and lists sources by state and country.
- http://www.localharvest.org/ is a resource website that lists organic meat, dairy, and CSA farms, in addition to organic restaurants, farmer’s markets, grocery stores, and even meat processors by state.
- www.fullcirclefarm.com offers organic, sustainable farming produce primarily in Mexico, OR, WA, AZ, and AK
- www.azurestandard.com offers a huge selection of organic and natural products, farm and garden supplies, organic animal feeds, and small appliances, and delivers to all states via UPS, and most western and mid-western states via a monthly truck.
- http://www.washingtonsgreengrocer.com/ is an organic grocery store in Washington, D.C.
- http://www.momsorganicmarket.com/ is an organic food and produce market in MD.
- http://tpss.coop/ is an organic produce co-op in MD.
- www.grantfarms.com is an organic produce CSA serving eastern and central CO.
- http://www.breadbeckers.com/ is an online supplier for whole grains and bread-making supplies, located in GA.
Videos and Documentaries
- Food, Inc.: takes a look at the “food industry’s detrimental effects on our health and environment…[and] spotlights the men and women who are working to reform an industry rife with monopolies, questionable interpretations of laws and subsidies, political ties and rising rates of E. coli outbreaks.
- Super Size Me: is an unbiased documentary of one man’s journey to see exactly what happens to his body when he embarks on a 30 day fast-food diet.
- King Corn: is an unbiased documentary of some college students who desire to follow corn from planting to the final products made from that corn.
- The Future of Food: is an educational documentary that discusses the “relationship between agriculture, big business and government. By examining the effects of biotechnology on the nation’s smallest farmers, the film reveals the unappetizing truth about genetically modified foods: You could unknowingly be serving them for dinner.”
- What’s Organic About Organic: is an educational documentary discussing what it means to be truly “Organic.”
- Fresh: a detailed and educational documentary that takes a look on different food growing and animal husbandry methods used around the country.
Homesteading and Animal Supplies
- http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/: a goat and home dairy supply store
- http://www.homesteadersupply.com/: an all-inclusive supply store for the small farm and homestead
- http://www.groworganic.com/ :an organic farm and homestead supply store
- http://www.jefferslivestock.com: a livestock supply store
- http://www.horse.com/: a farm and equine supply store
- http://www.valleyvet.biz/: a farm and livestock supply store
- www.kencove.com: a farm and fence supply store
- http://www.lehmans.com/: a store for self-sufficiency and living off-grid
- www.amazon.com : This site is the one I order almost everything off of (typically less expensive).
Non-Plastic Household Supplies
- http://lifewithoutplastic.com/: Non-plastic supplies for around the household
- http://www.onyxcontainers.com/: Stainless and glass supplies for the kitchen
Favorite Homesteading Books
- Storey’s Guide to ….(they have MANY books on almost any farm or homestead topic imaginable!)
- Ball Blue Book to Canning and Preserving
- The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It
- Any book by author Joel Salatin
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma
- Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
- The Backyard Homestead
- The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible
- The Unhealthy Truth
- Small-Scale Livestock Farming: A Grass-Based Approach
- Nourishing Traditions
- Let it Rot! A Gardener’s Guide to Composting
- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
- Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits and Vegetables
- The Encyclopedia of Country Living
- Natural Goat Health (or Cow or Horse) by Pat Colby
- Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund: This fund helps member farmers who are being illegally assaulted by the food police. You can find out about legislation and laws in your area, in regards to your health and food. If you think the FDA and USDA have your best interest at heart, you should read through this site!